Stiles' Notes on the Indians of Guilford, Connecticut

New Haven called Quillipiag.  Guilford called Menunkatuck.  Pond by Mr. Todd[1]’s Tuckshishoog.  Bought together with the consent of other Indians of the sachem squaw of Menunkatuck, now called Guilford, all the land contained between Agicomock, alias Stony Creek, on the west and Ruttawoo, alias the East River, on the east.  Turning on the west line northerly about ten miles unto Pistapaug Pond.

The squaw grants in consideration of twelve coats, twelve fathoms of wampum, twelve blankets, twelve pair shoes, twelve hatchets, twelve pair of stockings, twelve hoes, four kettles, twelve knives, twelve hats, twelve porringers, twelve spoons, two English coats.  The grant in the 29 September 1639 was made to Henry Whitfield, Robert Kitchel, William Chittenden, William Leete, John Bishop, John Coffinge, and the above tract running on the east part as high as Pistapaug Pond was confirmed and ratified by Nausopson and heir to the above sachem squaw unto Andrew Leete, Thomas Mecock, Stephen Bradley, and Josiah Rosseter in behalf of the planters in consideration of sixteen pounds merchant pay and twelve shilling in money.  February 2, 1686.

Uncas, the Mohegan sachem, grants the land east of the East River East unto Tuckshishoog by agreement unto Henry Whitfield, Robert Kitchel, William Chittenden. William Leete, John Bishop, John Coffinge, and John Jordan in consideration of four coats, two kettles, four fathoms of wampum, four hatchets, three hoes, this 17th of December 1641.

Cataloguing:     471



[1] Jonathan Todd