North America -- United States of America -- State of Connecticut -- State of Connecticut -- New Haven {Id= 160}

Indigenous Name:  Quinnipiac
Territorial Homeland:  Quinnipiac
Associated Tribal Affiliations:


Google Map: Click Here
Images:  Click Here


The Quinnipiac people inhabited the land of what is presently called New Haven.  In 1638, Dutch explorer Adriaen Block called it Rodeberg (“red mount”) from the color of East and West Rocks that bracket it.  It was later settled by the English as the Colony of New Haven, until that government merged into the Colony of Connecticut in 1665.  New Haven was encorporated in 1784.  It and Hartford shared seats of governmental power until 1875, when that role was awarded to Hartford alone.  Many towns split from New Haven:  Wallingford (1670), Branford (1685), Woodbridge (1784), Milford (1784), East Haven (1785), Hamden (1786), North Haven (1786), and West Haven (1921).  In 1822 Orange was created from parts of New Haven and Milford.

Native Place Names

  • Hobbopapoose (“Devil’s Bay”) is the name for a bluff in New Haven, presently Fort Hale Park.  CPN
  • “Indian Head” is the section at the east end of East Rock, used by Quinnipiac as a signal point. CPN
  • “Indian Reservation” was the location of a Quinnipiac village along the east side of New Haven harbor near Ferry Street Bridge to the lighthouse, measuring 1200 acres between Red Rock or Dragon and Black Rock at the extreme north end of Morris Cove.  It remained intact until 1695.  CPN
  • Mautunsq, variant spelling Mautumpseck (“steep rock” or “difficult rock to climb”) is the high ledge in Quinnipiac, presently known as West Rock.  JT/CPN
  • Miooinkhtuk (“meeting of tidal rivers”) is a location of an Indian village at Dragon Point in Fair Haven, where the Quinnipiac and Mill Rivers join.  CPN
  • Quinnipiac (“long water country”) is the land near the head of New Haven harbor and the name for the river that runs through it and its estuary with the Mill River.  CPN
  • Quinnirock was a location of an Indian village near a spring in the neighborhood of Townsend and Woodward Avenues in the present City of New Haven.  CPN
  • Tamtamtashurean (“summit of the mountain”) is a hill north of Raymond Hill, east of Townsend Avenue in the City of New Haven, presently known as Beacon Hill.  CPN

Image Courtesy of WikiMedia