North America -- United States of America -- State of Connecticut -- New London County -- Norwich -- Old Court House, Norwich Town, Connecticut (1798-1834)
Old Court House, Norwich Town, Connecticut (1798-1834)
The Old Court House in Norwich Town, Connecticut was built in 1761 on the southwest corner of the Green. Badly in need of care by 1798, it was repaired, painted, and moved from its position across the street to the site once occupied by the 17th Century dwelling house of Major John Mason. There it was used until 1834 when the court system moved to the Chelsea Landing section of Norwich. The building, depicted around 1839 as the left-most structure in the above sketch, was sold as a school and remained standing until 1891 when it was destroyed by fire.
Caulkins, History of Norwich, 21-2, 47, 523, 532; Perkins, Old Houses of Norwich, 345, 349. Sketch from John Warner Barber, (New Haven, CT: B.L. Hamlen, 1836), 296.