Shantup, Henry, 1792 - 1852

Little is known of the parentage or early life of Henry Shantup. According to his November 1811 Seaman’s Protection Certificate, Shantup was born in Stonington ( likely the portion that was later to become North Stonington ), 19 years old,  five feet eight inches tall, and had scars on his right cheek and left hip.  
Over a decade passes before Shantup once again emerges in the historical record.  From September of 1824 until May of 1826 records indicate that Henry Shantup received goods from the Wheeler Store in North Stonington.  During this time period (1825-1827) he is noted as having worked part-time for Dudley Wheeler of North Stonington.  In January of 1828 Shantup he was committed to the North Stonington work or poor house, whether for debt or some other issue is unclear.
While the full extent of his maritime career is unknown, at 32 years old, Henry Shantup boarded the schooner Free Gift, as a crew member departing from Stonington, CT on August 13, 1830 and bound for the Falkland Islands.  The Free Gift was determined to be unseaworthy while in Cape Verde and the crew and supplies were split amongst two sister ships that were also seal hunting in the area.  Shantup ended up on the crew of the Breakwater with fellow Eastern Pequots Charles Skeesucks and Moses Brushell.
In September of 1835, several years after his return to Connecticut, Henry Shantup was a witness, along with Betsy Richards, in the murder trial of Jeremiah Shantup, relation unknown. 
It wasn’t until June of 1838 that Henry Shantup first appeared in the ledgers of the state appointed overseers of the Eastern Pequots.  On June 28th of that year he had his shoulder set by the doctor with the expense being paid by the overseer. He continued receiving goods and services from the overseers periodically for the next 14 years.
While there is no way to know for sure, Henry Shantup may have been the younger man enumerated in the household of Samuel Shantup in the 1840 Federal Census for North Stonington, CT.
Just over a decade later, records indicate that Henry Shantup had fallen ill.  Polly Nedson was compensated for care that she provided him from Christmas Day 1851 to February 1, 1852, the day he presumably died.  On February 7th the Tribe was billed for a coffin, a horse and wagon to bring the body of Henry Shantup to his grave, grave clothes, the cost of the funeral including eulogy and digging of the grave.; CSL, 974.62, N817W, North Stonington, Connecticut, Wheeler Store Day Book, 1824-1826; Brown and Rose, Black Roots, 367, New London County Superior Court Record, Sept. 1835, File 106; ;  CSL, NLCC: PbS: Indians, Eastern PequotEastern Pequot Overseer Records from March 18, 1834 to June 11, 1835
circa 1792
February 1, 1852