Haynes, John (Deacon), 1621 - 1692

John Haynes was the son of Walter Haynes and Elizabeth Gourd of Sutton, Mandeville, Wiltshire, England who immigrated to Watertown, Massachusetts in 1636 and later settled at Sudbury, Massachusetts. He and two others were granted 3,200 acres of land at Quinsigamond (Worcester).  Haynes served as deputy to the Massachusetts General Court in 1668.  During King Philip’s War, his fortified house was used as a garrison against Indian attacks. William Richard Cutter, New England Families: Genealogical and Memorial, Vol. IV (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1913), 1965.  Eric B. Schultz and Michael J. Tougias, King Philip’s War: The History and Legacy of America’s Forgotten Conflict (Woodstock, VT: The Countryman Press, 1999), 213.

Born: 
1621
Died: 
October 1, 1692