Davenport, John, 1597 - 1670
John Davenport (Oxford 1625) was the son of Henry Davenport and Winifred Barneby of Coventry, Warwickshire. After his graduation from Oxford, Davenport was elected vicar of St. Stephens in London, where he became known for his preaching. He removed to Boston in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 and the following year purchased land on Long Island Sound from the Quinnipiac sachems to found the Town of New Haven, where he was a staunch supporter of conservative Congregationalism. Whether Davenport ministered to the local Quinnipiac is not presently known; however, according to Cotton Mather, the Indians’ name for him was “so big study man.” After some controversy in church and civil matters in Connecticut, Davenport accepted the pastorate of the First Church of Boston in 1667 and died there three years later. ANBO, ODNBO. Cotton Mather, Magnalia Christi Americana: Or, The Ecclesiastical History of New England, Vol. 3 (New Haven: Roberts & Burr, 1820), 300.