North America -- United States of America -- State of Connecticut -- New London County -- North Stonington

North Stonington


North Stonington is a town in New London County, Connecticut that lies within the heart of Eastern Pequot territorial homeland.  

It was settled by English colonists five years later as part of the town of Stonington.  In 1720, town members organized themselves into the North Stonington Society.  It became a separate town in 1807.

.

In 1683, the Connecticut General Assembly established a reservation around Lantern Hill for the Eastern Pequots at a place called Amboosamous.  It remains the center of their tribal nation.

 
Native Place Names
  • Ahyosupsuck (“wild hemp brook”) the outlet of a pond now called Wyassup in the north part of North Stonington, the southeast bound of the Mohegan Country.  Asupsuck was Pequot land and Hyems’ land lay north of Pequot land. JT Also called Aquasupsuck
  • Amboosamous is the Indigenous name for the Lantern Hill Pequot reservation.  Joseph Fish Journals.
  • Ashawog (“a place between”) is a river in North Stonington that runs southerly into the Pawcatuck River near Ashaway village in Hopkinton, RI.  JT 
  • Ashawillet is a tract of land in the northwest part of North Stonington.  JT
  • Assekonk (“black goose” “or much green grass at this place”) is a swamp in the south part of North Stonington and a brook that runs through it to the Shannock River.  JT
  • Cossattuck (“pine woods”) is a hilly range about two and a half miles north-northwest of North Stonington, northeast from Wintechog Hill, where there was two thousand acres laid out for the use of the Pequots in 1665.  JT/CPN
  •  “Indian Town.” See Lantern Hill, Eastern Pequot reservation.  CPN
  • “Indiantown Pond.” See Long Pond. CPN
  • “Lantern Hill” is a mountain located west-northwest of the Town of North Stonington, whose rocky summit can be see from a distance.  Two hundred and twenty acres there were made part of the Eastern Pequot reservation in 1683.CPN
  • “Long Pond” is a body of water southwest and south of Lantern Hill, part of the Eastern Pequot Reservation. CPN
  • Mahmansuck is a pond a mile long having diverse cedar island and necks of land on the eastern boundary of Mohegan country in North Stonington.  CPN
  • Pauchunganuck (“place of bears”) is a hill five miles north-northeast of village of North Stonington (also known as Pendletown Hill) and a brook that flows east of the hill, south into Green Fall River or Spaulding Pond.  Also spelled Punghungwenuck.  CPN
  • Puckbassanaug (“place of broken stones”) is a pond near the northwest bounds of North Stonington into which a brook runs from Anchamaunnackkaunock (Amos Lake) now called Avery Lake in the southeast corner of Preston.  JT/CPN
  • Shunock (“place where the two streams meet”) is a river formed by the union of Assekonk and Phelp’s Brook near Wintechog Hill and runs east and south to the Pawcatuck River at the northeast corner of Stonington.  It is also the name of a nearby hill.  JT/CPN
  • Taugwonk (“a mortar stone for pounding corn”) is a ridge of arable land in the northern part of Stonington extending to and beyond the North Stonington line.  It was the sire of Thomas Minor’s farm in 1657. JT/CPN
  • Watdawaduck.  See Wyassup.  CPN
  • Wawog is a pond at Ashawillet brook.  CPN
  • Waworamawak (“where the path turns”) is a located five or six miles up the Mystic river, near the path to Mohegan.  It was proposed as a reservation for Robin Cassasinamon and his band of Pequot.  CPN
  • Wawuttaquatuck is located on the Ashawag River between North Stonington and Hopkinton, RI and was the northwest corner of Hermon Garrett’s reserved land.  JT/CPN
  • Wetesamoonsach.  See Wyassup.  CPN
  • Wintechog is a hill east of Poquetanock and the Poquantanock River.  CPN
  • Wyassup (“wild hemp place”) is a body of water three miles north of the village of North Stonington that marked the southeast corner of Mohegan Country.  It was also a brook that flows from Wyassup Pond south-southeast to Spaulding Pond. Wyassup, or the land associated with it, may have been called Watdawduck and Wetesamoonsach.
  • Yawbucks (“on one side of the small pond”) is a brook that flows south-southwest into the Shunock in North Stonington near Cossattuck Hill and Brook.  JT/CPN
 
Image: The Village Square, North Stonington, Conn., Postcard, North Stonington Historical Society