Edgartown (Chappaquiddick) is a Town in Dukes County, Massachusetts, in the territorial homeland of the Wampanoag. It was settled by English colonists under the direction of Thomas Mayhew, Jr. in 1642 as Great Harbor and incorporated with the name Edgartown in 1671.
Edgartown was the site of three Christian Indian settlements. Chappaquiddick was the site of the earliest Christian Indian church in Massachusetts, established by Mayhew in 1659. An Indian Praying Town of Nunnepoage existed by 1698, with another at Nashamoiess at the southern end of Edgartown starting two years later. Wikipedia. Weis, The New England Company, 162-163.
Native Place Names
- Katama is a bay and a point of land jutting into it near Edgartown. D-LM
- Mattakeset D-LM
- Nashamoless "He is beloved of the Spirit" Weis, The New England Company, 162
- Poge "place of shelter"
- Nunnepoag is a pond in Edgartown. It is also the name of a Praying Indian community. D-LM
- Sanchecantacket D-LM
- Waqua is a point of land in Edgartown. D-LM