Stiles' Notes on the Quinnipiac Indians

Dr. Ruggles says there lately died an Indian man in Guilford, when it was remarked that then remained alive only one Indian man more from Saybrook Ferry to New Haven Ferry. And that in the doctor’s memory there were several wigwams in Guilford, but now for a long time not one.  Besides the surviving man Indian there were a few squaws with their children.1   

Sachems Head called so because a sachem’s head was struck off in that place.2  

Map locations:

Wallingford                                          Durham

                                       Pistapaug Pond

                                       Cohabit                     North Bristol                                      

                        Paug                             Quanapaug Pond

 12

North Branford

            Sibbie Hill                                 Name of the territory is Tuxisshoag

                                                                                    Tuxisshoag Pond

Totoket                                                                                   Tuxis Pond, 40 rods across

Branford                      Guilford                                    East Guilford

10 miles or 8                12 miles                       Tuxis Island

East Haven

            Mill      12

Tapamshashack River      Totoket Hill                   

     Cataloguing:             400                                       

 
  • 1. Despite Ruggles’ conclusions, a number of Indians lived in the West Pond section of Guilford as well as along coastal New Haven County. The Connecticut census of 1774 indicated a population of twenty-three Indian residents in Guilford, eleven in New Haven, four in Branford, and four in Wallingford.
  • 2. Sachem’s Head in present Guilford, Connecticut marks the site of the execution of two captive Pequot sachems following the Mystic fort massacre during the Pequot War. Samuel Gardiner Drake, Biography and History of the Indians of North America, Book II (Boston: Benjamin B. Mussey, 1845), 86-87.